So if you’re like me you try to give your children healthy snack options but they are rather expensive at the supermarket, and I don’t like giving my kids biscuits and other sweet snacks everyday. At this time of year fruit becomes more expensive, less widely available and a little boring. All the delicious summer fruits are gone and although apples are plentiful, they are just a little too hard for my toddlers to chew. So I decided to go about trying to create my own little balls. My first attempt was a complete and utter failure! Note to everyone, this recipe does not work with puree!!!
* 200g bag dried apricots
* 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
* 1/2 cup almond meal
* 3 tablespoons wheat germ
* 2 tablespoons boiling water
* OPTIONAL – 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
* An extra 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
* Blend apricots in a food processor until they are finely chopped.
* Pour in the boiling water and leave to soak for a few minutes. Add in orange juice if you are using it.
* Add 1/2 cup of the coconut, the almond meal and the wheat germ and blend until it begins to form together.
* Using your hands, roll the mixture into small balls.
* Roll the balls in your extra coconut.
* Store in an airtight container for up to a month.
* I have also used this recipe with dried peaches.
* There is no substitute for dried fruit pieces that I have been able to find so stick with those.
* The orange juice just makes the balls a bit more flavourful, I have also used orange flavour (don’t use essence as it is made of alcohol!!) or completely left it out in the past and just added in some extra boiling water.
* These are a great snack for adults too!
* For a gluten free version just leave out the wheat germ – you could also replace this with chia seeds or rice bran.
Check out the apple version of these here, its a little different.